Porter is currently a dancer with the Atlanta-based company, Kitmodus, and a founding member of the new collective, MediumsATL. Most recently, Porter performed with Atlanta-based choreographer Kristel Tedesco and her collective Little Minute ATL at Georgia Tech and 7Stages and at Callanwolde in "Modus II" with Kitmodus.
Porter Grubbs is a movement artist from Dothan, AL. He began his training at Troy University with instructors Erika Hand, Elie Lazar, and Dominique Angel. During this time he attended the Alabama Dance Festival, the American Dance Festival winter workshops in New York City, and the American Dance Festival summer program, where he was on scholarship for six weeks in Durham, NC.
He has worked with Sidra Bell in her winter|module at Center for Performance Research in Brooklyn and with Atlanta-based choreographers T. Lang and Bella Dorado for their respective commissions at the High Museum of Art. He has studied with David Zambrano and Renan Martins at Danscentrum Jette in Brussels, Belgium, and trained in Flying Low, Countertechnique, and Fighting Monkeys technique at The Henny Jurriens Foundation in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
His choreography has been featured at Troy University, the American Dance Festival, the Alabama Dance Festival, and at Eyedrum Art & Music Gallery and Callanwolde Fine Arts Center in Atlanta, GA. Porter has studied extensively with acclaimed artists such as Brenda Daniels, Wes Chapman, David Zambrano, and Gerri Houlihan, and he has performed repertory by Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker, Lar Lubovitch, Ohad Naharin, Merce Cunningham, Jose Limon, and Kyle Abraham.
full download below
- ShowerHaus Show 4 feat. Coorain | The Mediums Collective in collaboration w/Coorain @ ShowerHaus Gallery, The Goat Farm, ATL \ July 12th
- Are We There Yet? | The Mediums Collective @ The Windmill Arts Center, ATL \ July 2nd
- mixed signals | Solo, Choreography & Performance @ MIXTAPE Festival, ATL \ June 14th
- Everything That’s Old is New Again, WIP | The Mediums Collective @ The MAD Festival, Balzer Theatre, ATL \ May 10th & 11th
- Growing Pains, excerpt | Artistic Dir. w/The Mediums Collective @ Active Space, ATL \ Dec. 8
- Modus II | KitModus @ Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, ATL \ Dec.
- 7 Bridges | LittleMinuteATL @ GA Tech, Atlanta, GA \ Sept.
- ICON: A Celebration | WussyMAG @ The Deep End, Atlanta, GA \ Sept.
- |Me|diums | Artistic Dir. in collab w/ KitModus @ Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, Atlanta, GA \ May 25
- Rite of Spring 100th Anniversary | Staibdance @ Schwartz Center for Performing Arts, Emory College \ 14th
- bemoved. | Kitmodus @ Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, Atlanta, GA \ Mar.
- A Choreographic Offering | Guest Performance @ Troy University in Troy, AL \ Feb.
- Callanwolde Presents: An Evening of Three Works | KitModus @ Agnes Scott College, Decatur, GA \ Dec.
- Project Love | KitModus @ Park Tavern, Atlanta, GA \ Oct.
- FAEST | Bella Dorado @ The High Museum of Art \ Sept.
- POP | T. Lang Dance w/DJ Kemit @ The High Museum of Art \ June
- Danscentrumjette | Brussels, BE | Workshop w/David Zambrano \ Mar.
- Danscentrumjette | Brussels, BE | Workshop w/Renan Martins \ Mar.
- LAVA Brooklyn | New York City, NY | Workshop w/ChristinaNoel & The Creature, July
- P.A.R.T.S | Brussels, BE | Workshop w/Faculty, Apr.
- Alabama Dance Festival | Birmingham, AL | Choreographer @ New Works Concert, Jan.
- CPR Brooklyn | New York City, NY | Winter Module w/Sidra Bell, Jan.
- Staibdance Summer Intensive | Atlanta, GA | Jun.
- Eyedrum Art Gallery | Atlanta, GA | Choreographer @ MAD Festival Event - 24 Hour Dance, Jun.
- Alabama Dance Festival | Birmingham, AL | Choreographer & Dancer @ New Works Concert, Jan.
- American Dance Festival | Durham, NC | Jun - July
- Alabama Dance Festival | Birmingham, AL | Dancer @ New Works Concert, Jan.
I create environments.
I am captivated by total embodiment, by allowing each physical and emotional aspect of a state to encapsulate every inch of my being. This is a driving force in my personal artistic practice and in my creative process. I notice what I notice, identifying the many physical qualities of small and large impulses in the body. By building an understanding of these details, I cultivate sensory memories in myself that I can then isolate and amplify or investigate within any spatial or temporal framework.
How can individual elements of being and seeing cooperate or oppose each other? What relationships can this chemistry create? I like to structure environments that challenge artists to shift their focus between internal and external stimuli while establishing a steady physical flow. We bring awareness to our focus by speaking what we register. Through this I establish language as an important tool in noticing - by invigorating our subconscious through concrete, categorical means.
Another aspect of my current research centers on play as a communicative force, as a learning tool, and as a practice in relationship. The interplay of spontaneity and curated, considerate design is a major interest within my process. Could every choreographed phrase be just a highly structured improvisation? Are our improvisations always familiar patterns reproduced? These questions pervade my mind as I build through bodies.
I approach performance not only as a reflection of life but also as a practice of it. Within these prior musings, I know that we can only realize our ideas by engaging with them physically. Sensation is the first step for me in every process. Even through curation, I return to my body so that I may hear my instincts. I’m still learning, still catching myself in these moments where my practice falls out of alignment with these values. But my mantra today is this - to write before I edit.
Upcoming Works //
Growing Pains // MediumsATL // Date TBA
Everything That’s Old is New Again // MAD Festival // Date TBA
Celestial // MIXTAPE Festival // Date TBA